AHC20416 – Certificate II in Horticulture
What is the course about?
This qualification is part of the Horticulture Training Package. This qualification underpins a range of work functions & job roles that can lead to a horticultural trade qualification. Job titles may include: Horticulture worker, Horticulture assistant.
What is it going to do for me?
It provides students with the skills & knowledge needed to work under supervision as a skilled operator or assistant to a tradesperson in the horticulture industry. Students complete a range of general horticulture modules & may choose electives from a range of industry specific modules. Depending on the subject chosen, you will be able to:
- maintain plants & planted areas
- operate tractors, equipment & machinery
- harvest & treating plants
- construct horticultural features
- apply chemicals & biological agents
- maintain irrigation & drainage systems
- recognise plants, products & treatments
- maintain properties & structures
- treat weeds, pests & diseases
How long is it going to take?
The course length is 18 months. But this can be shortened depending on your current skills which can go towards recognised prior learning (RPL).
How is the qualification delivered?
If you are currently employed in Horticulture, training can be delivered with or without a “Traineeship”. The trainers come to your workplace & use your practical work experience combined with the bookwork to help you achieve your certificate. If you are currently not employed in Horticulture, ARO can still help you. Please contact us to discuss your options.
What does the course contain?
- 15 Units in total
- 5 core units
- 10 elective units
- A maximum of two (2) units may be selected from units aligned to Certificates II or III or from any other currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course. Selected units must meet job outcomes relevant to horticulture.
(The following table is a suggested list of units that can act as a guide for students to follow – click here for a list of other electives that may be available to you)
|AHCWHS201||Participate in WHS processes|
|AHCPMG202||Treat plant pests, diseases and disorders|
|AHCSOL202||Assist with soil or growing media sampling and testing|
|AHCWRK209||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|AHCPGD201||Plant trees and shrubs|
|AHCPGD203||Prune shrubs and small trees|
|AHCMOM203||Operate basic machinery and equipment|
|AHCLSC201||Assist with landscape construction work|
|AHCLSC203||Install aggregate paths|
|AHCCHM201||Apply chemicals under supervision|
|AHCNSY203||Undertake propagation activities|
|AHCWRK204||Work effectively in industry|
Target group are primarily engaged in a horticulture industry environment, carrying out a wide range of tasks under limited supervision. Target group may have experience in this type of organisation, but may have no qualification & or require up skilling of current knowledge & skills. They are existing new employees or can be longer existing workers.
Delivery & assessment arrangements
Duration: The program is delivered over a period of …18 MONTHS….
- The 15 units of competency in the qualification have been organised into an off-the-job training programme comprising of ‘general work skills’ modules & ‘applied industry skills’ modules.
- The programme is organised so that candidates are provided with background information on general skills such as Follow Workplace Procedures, in the ‘general work skills’ modules & are given the opportunity to apply these skills in the ‘applied industry skills’ modules.
- For example, Follow workplace Procedures & the applied industry skill- Apply Chemicals Under Supervision.
- It is only when the client successfully completes both modules that they deemed competent in the unit of competency AHCWHS201 participate in WHS procedures.
Here you can create the content that will be used within the module.
Horticultural , Arboriculture & Business
ARO is a registered training organisation #40056.
I have used ARO Educational Services for the last 3 years and from a small business owner I can only say how professional, helpful and patient they have been is assisting with training our staff over this time.Andrew Frazer, Frazer Gardens and Landscapes
Over 11 years experience with ARO from apprenticeship to Advanced Diploma. They gave all possible guidance & help. Their trainers were always readily accessible and the course was made to fit around my work. My study with ARO has been invaluable to my career.Barri Thomas, Hillside Herbs